We finally installed the Daytona Beach buoy today just off the Sunglow Pier. Enjoy!
Unfortunately we lost contact with the newly installed buoy. We are not sure what the issue is but we are aware and will be working on it as fast we can. We apologize for any inconvenience and thanks for your patience.
We have built and tested a new transmitter which we will swap out with the current one during our onsite troubleshooting. We anticipate getting out out to this buoy sometime in the next week or two weather permitting. The current forecast out to 6/21 is not conducive for field operations, however we will closely monitor current conditions to see if the forecast pans out. Again, thanks for your patience.
The Daytona Beach buoy is down due to Hurricane Matthew. This buoy will be re-deployed when funds become available to build a replacement buoy. Stay tuned for updates.
The Daytona Beach buoy is back online. We built a new buoy over the last few weeks and re-deployed it on 11/12/2016. First we recovered the remains of the previous buoy which turned out to be everything from the flotation section on down. This confirms that our theory of it's demise was correct, which was that the buoy got struck by surface debris most likely from the Sun Glow Pier that broke away. While it was not a surprise that the wavegage survived it was a huge surprise that the transmitter did. The transmitter housing is made of clear polycarbonate tubing and is waterproof to at least 100 ft but once the buoy broke apart it was no longer protected from the elements and was rolling around on the sea floor with the rest of the remains.
The Daytona Beach buoy has been down for about a month now. The cable took a hit during a big wave event in December and finally gave way in late February. We were set to replace the cable but then saw the antenna mast had been broken as well requiring us to bring the whole buoy back to the shop for repairs. We are about 2-4 weeks away from replacing the buoy once it has been repaired and we get good weather for re-deployment.
The Daytona Beach buoy has been temporarily repaired thanks to the efforts of Chris Dembinsky who went out and secured the antenna mast so that it points to the sky instead of in the water. A more permanent repair or replacement will be performed in the next 1-3 weeks. So our initial thought that the cable had been compromised was wrong and it seems it was just the antenna mast all along.
We are still waiting for a good weather window to get out to this buoy and do a more permanent fix to keep the data flowing more reliably.
Hurricane Irma took out the Daytona Beach buoy at some point during the storm. This buoy had stopped reporting the previous due to an ongoing issue with it cell phone antenna.
Recovered the remains of the Daytona Beach buoy today. The buoy washed ashore about 2 miles north of its deployed location. This buoy will be returned to service as soon as we can get to it.
The replacement buoy for Jensen Beach has been prepped and is ready for deployment. At this point we are waiting for a good weather window for deployment and as soon as we get one the buoy will be restored to service.
The Jensen Beach buoy has stopped reporting and has actually been over due for its scheduled maintenance. We will service this buoy as soon as we possibly can. We are currently working on its replacement and it should be ready in the next week and of course after that we will need a good weather window to perform the service. We apologize for any inconvenience.
The Jensen Beach Buoy is down due to Hurricane Matthew. We do have a replacement buoy for this location and it will be deployed as soon as possible. Stay tuned for updates.
The Jensen Beach buoy survived!!! The loss of data during the Hurricane was due to loss of power at the lifeguard shack. Now that power is back on and the laptop that receives the data from the buoy has been re-booted data is flowing again. Still this buoy is overdue for maintenance and the wavegage batteries are very low so data may not flow too much longer. We will swap out buoys as soon as possible.
It appears we have lost contact with the Jensen Beach buoy. We have upgraded the alternate buoy to cell phone communications as we will soon lose the shore station (lifeguard building) as it is set to go through renovations in the near future. This buoy is ready to go and will replace the current buoy as soon as the opportunity arises with a good weather window.
We have a boat lined up for the buoy swap but the winds are not forecast to be favorable at all this week but we will continue to monitor the weather and will get out as soon as possible.
We missed a narrow opportunity today to swap out this buoy. Unfortunately we could not take advantage of the calm conditions and it looks like the weather will not cooperate for at least another week.
We managed to sneak out today and get the job done just before the winds started to pick up out of the South. We swapped out the buoy and the data is streaming back to the web!
We went out to Jensen Beach on Tuesday this week to try to sort out the intermittent communications we have had since switching over the data transmitter from point-to-point RF to cell phone. Swapped out transmitters for one with a bit more diagnostic code to aide in troubleshooting and it looks like we have a damaged data cable from the wavegage to the topside buoy. We hope to get out next week after the holiday and swap out buoys to correct the issue.
We got out to Jensen Beach and swapped out buoys and data is now streaming back to the website. The issue was a damaged data cable.
Hurricane Irma took out the Jensen Beach buoy around 6pm EST on 9/10. Last reading was 16.3ft at 9s. Pretty burly but we are still striving to build an inexpensive buoy that will survive through hurricanes, even this close to shore.
Recovered the remains of the Jensen Beach buoy about 5 miles north of its deployed location. We will be able to re-use most if not all of what we recovered. This buoy will be the first to be restored.
The replacement buoy for Jensen Beach is about 80% complete and expected to be finished by and testing by 9/27. Once testing is complete we will begin to look for a good enough weather window to re-deploy. Thanks for your support!
The Jensen Beach buoy is ready to roll. We have a boat lined up but now have to wait for a good weather window for deployment.
The Indialantic buoy was last heard from on 1/10/2016. While we do have a visual on it we have been unable to get out to it to attempt on site troubleshooting. We are currently working on a code upgrade for the transmitter which should help us in determining communication issues in the future and once we can get to the buoy we will swap out transmitters to implement the code upgrade. We appreciate your patience.
We had a great weather window today and were able to return the Indialantic buoy back to service! 1 foot of viz but other than that everything went well.
The Indialantic surf buoy was recovered today, we will repair it as soon as possible and return it to service as quickly as we can. Thank you for your patience.
We lost contact with the Indialantic surf buoy mid-day on 11/24/2015. The issue is related to the same problem that brought down the Cocoa Beach buoy. We will recover the Indialantic buoy at the next available opportunity, repair it and return it to service as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.
The Indialantic buoy survived! We went to pay our last respects as soon as we got back beachside from the evacuation and there it was just sitting out there looking pretty. But it did stop transmitting data due to Hurricane Matthew. This buoy will be recovered and repaired as soon as possible. Stay tuned for updates.
Finally had good enough ocean conditions to get the kayak out to assess the damage to the Indialantic buoy and try to retrieve the transmitter. Fortunately the only physical damage was to the antenna mast. The antenna mast had broken off stopping the data transmission and caused the buoy to get flooded. The transmitter is inside a waterproof housing so it is perfectly fine and the battery was fully charged so the solar panels were still functioning as well. The last transmission from the buoy was at 10/6/2016 23:00 EDT at Hs = 12.5 ft and Tp = 9.1 s. The processed data is also stored on the transmitter as a back up and we had hoped to get all the data from the storm off of it but unfortunately the flooding compromised the portion of the data cable inside the buoy. There are a couple of wiring splices inside the buoy that are only splash proof and being submerged in sea water allowed water ingress and has caused intermittent connection. We did get 3 more data points during the storm with the last reading at 10/7/2016 04:30 EDT with Hs = 18.7 ft and Tp = 10.7 s! We also had intermittent data up until today so we know the wavegage is also still working and collecting data. We replaced the broken antenna mast with a dummy antenna mast to keep anything else from getting in and hopefully keep this buoy afloat until we can swap it out with a new buoy. Once we recover it we will also recover the wavegage and get all the data from Hurricane Matthew. Stay tuned as we will publish all the storm data once recovered.
The Indialantic Buoy has been built and is about to enter the full system test period. Once testing is complete in about a week we will begin to look for a suitable weather window to return it to service.
The Indialantic Buoy has been swapped out and data is now streaming to the website. Great conditions and we managed to do this by kayak. Waves were about 1.5ft, water temperature about 72 and almost 10 ft of viz and this is November.
We went out to do maintenance on the Indialantic buoy today but discovered an issue with the transmitter that has forced us to take this buoy down for additional maintenance. The issue should be fixed in the next few days but we will need a good weather window to get back on the water to finish the maintenance.
The communication issue that the Indialantic buoy was experiencing after maintenance has sorted itself out and appears to be working fine with full data return. We will continue to monitor in case the issue reappears.
Weather and waves are still hampering our efforts to restore this buoy to operational status. We will get to it as soon as conditions become favorable to get out to it in a kayak.
We got some good conditions and attempted an in-situ repair that did not work. We replaced the data cable from the wavegauge to the buoy but this did not resolve the issue. We tried resetting the transmitter but to no avail. We are working on the next attempt which will be to replace just the surface buoy. As with replacing the data cable in-situ we have never swapped just the surface buoy before so this is also an experiment. Sorry for the down time and we expect to make the next attempt in late May.
We finally sorted out the issue with the Indialantic buoy. It turns out that during one previous attempt to fix we had a faulty data cable and then on the next attempt we swapped out the cable and wavegauge but unfortunately we did not realize the wavegauge was set up for full-duplex communication while the buoy is set up for half-duplex communication. So they could not talk to each other. But we made the corrections and now have data streaming once again!
Hurricane Irma took out the Indialantic buoy around 10pm EST on 9/10. Last reading was 16ft at 12s. Pretty burly but we are still striving to build an inexpensive buoy that will survive through hurricanes, even this close to shore.
Recovered the remains of the Indialantic buoy today. The buoy washed ashore about 4 miles north of its deployed location. This buoy will be returned to service as soon as we can get to it.
The Cocoa Beach buoy was last heard from on 1/17/2016. Due to recent weather we have been unable to get out to it to attempt on site troubleshooting. We are currently working on a code upgrade for the transmitter which should help us in determining communication issues in the future and once we can get to the buoy we will swap out transmitters to implement the code upgrade. We appreciate your patience.
The Cocoa Beach surf buoy was re-deployed today and data is now streaming to the web again. Thanks again for your patience.
The Cocoa Beach surf buoy has been repaired and is currently testing in-house. The buoy will be returned to service at the next available opportunity. Thank you for your patience.
The Cocoa Beach surf buoy was recovered today due to intermittent communications. We will work to get this buoy back in the water as soon as possible, we apologize for any inconvenience.
The Cocoa Beach buoy was successfully re-deployed!
The Cocoa Beach buoy washed ashore last night in front of the Diplomat condo. It appears that the mooring line broke at the connection to the chains at the bottom of the buoy. It is unclear yet how this may have happened. Thanks to Caity who sent us a Facebook message with photos we saw the buoy was fully intact when it washed ashore. However, in a most likely helpful attempt to tow it further up the beach someone did major damage to the buoy. As a result it will take us a bit longer than it should have to get this buoy back in the water. We will keep you posted on the progress of this buoy.
The Cocoa Beach buoy has been repaired and returned to service today. We had to repair the upper portion of the buoy, replace part of the data cable and make a new mooring line. Water temperature on bottom was a refreshing 75F and viz was less than a foot. Pretty much had to work by touch. Thanks for your patience!
The Cocoa Beach wavegauge was just about out of batteries so we swapped out the wavegauge in-situ and it was a success. There was no down time associated with this maintenance effort.
Hurricane Irma took out the Cocoa Beach buoy around 6pm EST on 9/10. Last reading was 12.1ft at 11s. Pretty burly but we are still striving to build an inexpensive buoy that will survive through hurricanes, even this close to shore.
Recovered the remains of the Cocoa Beach buoy today. The buoy washed ashore just south of its deployed location. This buoy will be returned to service as soon as we can get to it.